Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Remembering a High School Tradition: Mum Corsages

I wondered why my husband never knew what I was talking about when I mentioned Homecoming Mums! I didnt realize this is mainly a Texas tradition. I never had a date give me one, but my dad had me one made for the first Homecoming Dance I attended in high school. I had never seen the men's mums worn on the arm. In my town, men were given stuffed animals wearing the corsages for the Sadie Hawkins dance. Some of my friends took their mums to the actual dance, but I just used mine for pictures and left it at home. It was too big to wear comfortably, although I know many peers who wore mums to the dance that were much much bigger than mine. I now want to go find a picture of me and my mum.....wonder if I still have those pictures somewhere. This is a fun article that took me down memory lane: http://jezebel.com/5965232/inside-the-weird-texas-tradition-of-enormous-homecoming-corsages/ (Hopefully pictures to come at a later date)

No comments:

Post a Comment